Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Sharp Tongue - Dull Head

better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt - Abe Lincoln

I used to live by this proverb. Sometime during my childhood I discovered that there is safety in silence and grew up to be very good at not opening my mouth. Very recently I have come to see some value in opening your mouth when you could otherwise keep it shut. By speaking my mind and being prepared for the consequences I have lived experiences that would otherwise have been just an imagination. This is really a significant change for me and it comes with a steep learning curve.
All of that to say this...
Oh crap! What have I gotten myself into?
I have spoken my mind about a topic that I deal with daily and is central to my job. In the process I have managed to piss some people off. One of whom is a mid level manager in my company and another is a manager in a client company. I am pretty sure that what I said needed to be said but perhaps I could have said it differently. Perhaps it needed to be said by someone else? Regardless, I can't rewind my tongue so I will stand by what I said and clarify it where needed. I just have to ride this out and learn as much as I can from the whole show.

2 Comments:

At 9/3/06 11:15 pm, Blogger Stephane Tardif said...

From past experience, ( and I've done it alot ), no matter how many people are pissed off when you say it, you're always rewarded for it later. Becoming public about our own color often brings alliance that we never thought could happen. Regardless, human race are not a total bunch of idiots, at least... most of them..., so if there was something positive to be taken out of what you said, even if angry, the people you pissed of will come to their good sense sooner or later.

Good Luck !

 
At 9/3/06 11:59 pm, Blogger d.i.y.d. said...

Some 3rd party perspective from a manager and a collegue today have settled me a little. It seems i have been bold but not bad. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home