Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Don't Hire Me

I will start by forgetting to arrive for the interview. Three days later I will call to "confirm" the interview date/time/address/company. I will arrive at the rescheduled interview with the interview details post-it still stapled to my forearm. I will ask for your name three times and the next day when I drop in the resumé I meant to bring I will ask for "the guy that did the interviews".

I have always figured I was just too lazy to bother remembering most stuff but I have been thinking recently that maybe I am just built a little differently. Now I really don't like the idea of self diagnosis or of labeling people. ...but here I go.

I have done some extended research over the last 0.01 days and have a couple of likely possibilities. Amnesia was the obvious first choice, source amnesia in particular and maybe memory distrust syndrome. I find it trivial to remember facts, numbers and solid concepts but context and human details are lost to me very rapidly, often in seconds. I figure that my frequent déjà vu experiences might be related but I don't know how that helps. I have thought before that I may be a little on the autistic spectral side on account of the difficulty I have with the subtleties of personal communication with most people and the unnatural talent I have for "guessing" the right answers to some kinds of puzzles. I haven't really found anything that matches my strange set of strengths and weaknesses. That's ok with me though I guess. I prefer to think that everyone is unique and dropping them into neat categories is, at best, limiting their potential.

The other morning I saw someone that I know in the lobby of the building where I work. All I had was a flicker of recognition. I thought maybe he just looked like someone else that I know. Maybe he was a new member of my team that I had only seen from a distance? We shared a lift and he started chatting to me. It wasn't long before I had to admit that I had no idea where I knew him from. It turns out that he has just started a job with another team in my building. He had to explain to me that six years ago we worked together for six months. That doesn't sound so bad right? I mean I've worked with a lot of people since then. Easy enough to misplace one team member right? Well it wasn't so much a team as a partnership. He was my right hand man in a workshop staffed by only two people, him and me. ...for six months. Aye aye aye. I asked for his name twice but right now I haven't a clue what it is.

On the plus side having a partially 7 second memory has been a bonus in solving complex problems. In the space of ten minutes of working on a problem I will have thought about the problem from a dozen different angles. It's kind of like forgetting my train of thought and starting over but always from a different perspective. Assumptions are tested multiple times and facts are restated. It seems to make me a worthwhile addition to brainstorming groups too.

As much as I love talking about myself I think I should observe the clarity paradox at this point.

2 Comments:

At 24/3/06 9:26 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the reason you struggle with job interviews is inherent with the fact that all computer technicians are kind of like a breed unto ourselves. Different from the homo-sapien life forms commonly found in inner suburbia, we only like to grunt or speak if it is absolutely necessary before we get back to wiring up that damn switch the wrong way so it shorts out the entire damn building when we turn it on. "Oops - did I do that?"

 
At 25/3/06 2:22 am, Blogger d.i.y.d. said...

Yes well. Be sure to tell me in advance next time you plan to power up a 240V switch you have wired yourself. Not that I can preach. I still have a nice scar to remind me that mains voltage will play nasty if you don't keep your head screwed on.
My current plan for success with job interviews is to not get fired. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home