Tuesday, April 04, 2006

It's been nearly a week.

I've had blogger's block.

Not that nothing has been happening. Quite the opposite. A paradox, you could say. The more you live life the less you think about life.

I spent another few days in Sydney over the weekend. After a Friday onsite I headed for the hotel I had booked online. I had been standing in line at the check-in counter for about twenty minutes, thinking the whole time, how long does it take these people to check in to a bloody room!? It won't even take me two minutes. I got to the counter and they had no booking.
"This is the Marriott Sydney isn't it?"
"Yes. One of them"
"Hmm. Perhaps you could check the others for a booking and transfer it here?"
No such luck. Found the booking at another but no room at this one. I spent more time at the counter than anyone before me and didn't even check in.

While wandering the streets with another non-local guy looking for a place to have a beer or three I came across a busker and remembered that I had not played guitar for more than a week. The callous on my fingertips was already starting to peel away from lack of use. I stood and ogled the guitar. I think the busker took pity on me because she offered to let me play. Fantastic. I belted out a truly flaccid rendition of know better and felt much better. (It's difficult to keep a firm melody after a few drinks...) Needless to say the busker was none the richer for my effort. Bummer. By the way if you have a thing for jazz/folk or uncommon melodies you should really checkout www.catherineobrien.com. She played a couple of her own tunes and I was impressed. I really didn't expect a busker to have a website but there you go.

Thank you Cath. You made my Sydney trip memorable, in a good way.

1 Comments:

At 5/4/06 6:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

most people who ask "c'n i have a go on yer guitar. i'm a perfessional." i tend to politely decline their request. in your case, my inner voice told me you really could play. and it was right. great song. thanks for the plug.

http://www.catherineobrien.com

cathie@catherineobrien.com
ph / fax 61 2 93986631
po box 28 st. pauls nsw 2031
AUSTRALIA
http://www.jazzstandards.com/compositions-0/whatsnew.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home